Wednesday 10 August 2011

WHAT?! No riots in Oldham you say?!

Yes if anybody has been asleep or not on this planet for the last few days then you won't know about the current state of England an' all the feckin riots that are going on in pretty much all of the major cities.

Now I've been joining a few groups on Facebook which are updated frequently with up to the minute photo's an' updates of certain areas where the riots have hit or are suspected to hit.

Of course I'm interested in Oldham. It's me hometown an' am proud of that, but not so proud of the fact that it's had more than it's fair share of shit over the years. An' tonight it's peaked me interest even more with all the riots going on all about the place. Possibly even more interest I took to when they knocked me precious Mumps Bridge down a few months back. That bloody devastated me that did. :'(


Yes it does say "Seton welcome you to Oldham home of the Tubular Bandage" on it. Provided me with many a giggle when I was younger an' still does. In fact it was always a reference for people who couldn't remember where I come from so they'd Google "Home of the Tubular Bandage" an' find out I come from Oldham. I guess they could still do that but now I just tell 'em I come from the same place Mark Owen does. O_o

Either way. Yes, riots. Lots of 'em. By stupid little teenage chavs who have absolutely no drive to get what they're fighting for. Which they say is a future. Jobs an' steady incomes an' money to buy things. So what do they go an' do? They go riot, lay the place to waste like, get the stuff they want now then blame it on society an' the Government for making them that way. Yeah they could do summat about their future. It's called going to school, getting yer head down an' studying so you have what you need behind you to actually get a bloody job. But no, they're too bloody bone idle is what they are to even think about doing a bit of work at school an' making themselves a decent future.

That's what I think it is at th'end of the day, sheer bone idleness an' pure unabashed greed. Yes you can make a future for yourself, but it ain't getting handed to you on a plate just 'cause you threw yer toys outta the pram an' had the mother of all paddys. You want a job? Fine. There are jobs about, you just gotta work toward it an' that prepares you for it.

But back to Oldham. I have to applaud a chap whos Facebook page I liked earlier called "I Love Royton." This fella's (Well I think it's a fella!) has been driving around taking photos of Royton, Oldham town centre an' other surrounding areas quashing rumors that Asda is in bits or Tesco has been looted an' so on.

I'll tell you now it's so odd seeing Oldham as quiet as it is at the moment. An' I believe we're doing ourselves proud so far by NOT having some mad riot for a change. If you want to go further in to that, I suggest you Google the 2001 Oldham Race Riots. Sure there has been the odd brick gone through a window but that's just Oldham. A regular occurance.

An' let me leave you wi' one of Mister. I Love Royton's earlier updates from about half an hour ago.

Asda rochdale NOT on fire. No smoke. No fire engines. The worst thing I've seen all night is a police car do an illegal u-turn where it said "no u-turns". Oh and a pregnant lady smoking a fag outside the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment